Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Details on a Whim

I'm excited to say I have a little more hope today!  I kid I kid...Yes we are absolutely ready to get this all over with and move in and on with our life but no I'm not totally hopeless. 

But....when there are crews working on the casa it does make me feel like someone slipped me a pill of relief. Even if it was just half of one I'll take it.
Lets start with a pic of the kitchen progress shall we?  Again another bad camera phone pic but you get the idea!



Yeah we finally got the pocket doors fully installed AND the sheetrock went up over them!  This is huge people!  Typically only one thing at a time happens over here and this was a biggie.  You see the kitchen cabinets couldn't be installed until that stinkin wall was done.  Oh but wait...remember our cabinet issue in the last post?  Well you may notice a few cabinets are now gone.  Since every cabinet except for the one in the kids bath was wrongo the cabinet guy agreed to fix what was absolutely necessary and not charge us the extra 1,700 that he had decided to charge from he original quote.  So although they aren't like the plans (that we paid someone to draw up so this wouldn't happen) we agreed to just move on because time is $$.  I'll share some of the details on how all that works in a later post. 

O.k.  The details...On a whim
Well I'm not an on the whim kinda girl when it comes to well anything.  So when hubs called me and said the sub called and there is an issue with the door frames and trim I knew I would have to get out there to actually see the issue and figure out what would be best.

So here was the problem.




It's not a huge deal right?  Ideally You would just go with bigger trim but that isn't in the budget and the subs already had all of this size trim ordered and with them.  
So the alternative that we came up with was to slide a piece of the same trim right in between the top and side trim.
Here is a side view that will make sense of all that trim speak.



Then I had to decide if I liked the look of the trim all lining up along the outside..



Or with a little 1/2 overlap on the sides?
We went with the overlap because it gives it almost a craftsman look and looks a little less like a spur of the moment fix like it was.



I think it looks pretty good actually and adds a nice detail.

Now look at how the other side of the kitchen looks!
This is from inside the playroom looking into the kitchen and laundry room there on the right.



It looks so different not having those big openings into the kitchen.
This was the before from a different angle.




 Here is another grainy before picture form the master bath.



After:  The pocket door is all closed in and your peering into what will soon be our messy closet.



Almost all of the trim is up at this point.  I think it will be done today!  
Below you'll see we decided to extend the trim 3" outside of each window.  We did this because someday we would like to place trim all the way around the windows and we didn't want to have to redo the window sills.




We have 5 or 5 1/2 inch baseboards(I can't believe I can't remember) and they just so happen to butt up right against the window sill in the dining area.  We decided to make the sills continuos under the windows here because if we ever do get around to adding trim around the windows it would have left this teeny tiny area of wall between the pieces. (does that make any sense?)  Anywho it would have been odd but now we can really beef up the trim around the windows some day.

You may notice there are lots of little areas that will need to be cleaned up and patched.  I've already had the blue tape out;)  If you have every bought a new house or built you know they hand you a roll of blue tape and have you mark any uh oh's you come across.



This is how the open doorways look all trimmed out.  Your getting a sneak peek of the cheap and yet adorable light I found for our teeny tiny hall into our  master bedroom.



And that folks is my thrown together post about the happenings so far this week and it's only Wednesday!  Oh and if you follow on facebook you've seen my Hallelujah  picture below...


We have an electric pole!!!!!!!!!  Can you imagine the excitement running through my bones when I can flip a switch and see the lights come on?

Thanks for giving a rip ;)

Photobucket

3 comments:

SewItAll said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh I feel every hit and miss you are going through. We custom built one house already and swore I would not do it again. Then we moved into our present house that even though we love it, we would like to tweak a little. It was not possible to add on with this floorplan so we are building new. Actually at the best time since rates are low; we can afford more house now. We are just starting and I hope every day of the next several months are positive (I know they won't be). And, if the subs screw up, they eat the expense of fixing the issue. That's just the way it works. And yay for electricity. I am following your progress. Good luck

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

We are planning on building within the year and I have loved reading your blog! In fact, our house plans are very similar to yours as we have 3 children and want a "family room" as well. I read each post but did not see the finished product. Do you have finished pictures?

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

We are planning on building within the year and I have loved reading your blog! In fact, our house plans are very similar to yours as we have 3 children and want a "family room" as well. I read each post but did not see the finished product. Do you have finished pictures?